Did you know that often times the air inside our homes and offices is more polluted than the outdoor air? Check out the before and after pictures from our duct cleaning experiences.
Why is the air in our homes so dirty? Well, there are the obvious factors such as pet dander and cigarette smoke, but the real culprit here is bacteria, molds and fungus. Most commercially purchased disposable fiberglass air filters are only 7% efficient in stopping dust, pollen and mold spores leaving 93% to pass into your air conditioner and air ducts. This cool, dark, moist environment provides the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. Simply turning on your air conditioner propels a whirlwind of microscopic organisms into every room of your home.
So what can you do about it?
First, start with a complete source removal duct cleaning. This is the most effective way to clean your air ducts and ventilation system. This method uses a specialized, powerful vacuum which sucks air and dirt through the system, while brushes are inserted into the ducts to dislodge dirt and debris that are stuck on the inner surfaces. The HEPA filtered vacuum system collects the dirt in a containment unit for later disposal.
Industry standards recommend having your air ducts and vents inspected every two years, with cleanings performed as necessary. New home? We recommend having your ducts inspected immediately. It is common for builders to leave behind construction debris in the ductwork. Not only does this reduce airflow, but also provides the perfect attachment points for dust and organic material to accumulate.
The next step is to have your coils professionally cleaned. An air conditioning system has two coils, usually made of copper tubes with aluminum fins. The evaporator coil, or indoor coil, is often described as the “cold” coil because it provides indoor cooling. This coil works by absorbing heat from the indoor air that is blown over by the air handler’s fan. The condenser coil or outdoor coil is the “warm” coil as it rejects the heat as a fan blows outside air over the surface.
Over time, coils get plugged with dust, grime and debris. Combined with moisture, in the form of condensation, this provides the perfect breeding ground for microbial organisms. Air flowing over your indoor coil introduces these organisms into your ductwork, and the air you breathe. If an anti-bacterial solution is used in the cleaning process, having your coils cleaned regularly will limit the number these potentially harmful organisms in your home.
Having your coils cleaned also has the added benefit of improving the efficiency of your system. Clean coils allow air to flow through without restriction. That means lower energy bills and equipment that is less to prone to costly breakdowns.
The final step in the process is to try to prevent as many pollutants from entering your system as possible. This is accomplished by using an upgraded air filter such as the BoAir Electrostatic Air Filter. These are “drop-in” replacements for existing disposable filters and are up to 25 times more effective, which means they will be able to trap those particles before they can make their home in your ducts. Best of all, they are permanent and washable, and come with a Lifetime Warranty (10 years in commercial applications).
You will find that by maintaining a cleaner air system that you will not only breathe easier but your air conditioner will as well. This means lower electric bills for you and healthier living for your family. Make the Precision Decision and give us a call today, 480-347-2314. Our service area includes Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, Gilbert and surrounding areas.